In the last decade, the popularity of CBD has increased exponentially. This is largely due to the passage of the 2018 Farm Bill and other new cannabis laws, but it can also be attributed to the fact that more and more people are learning about the ways that CBD can help them. From relaxing joints and muscles to promoting better sleep, there are myriad benefits that come with adding CBD to your self-care routine.
However, many people looking to dive into the world of CBD are unsure how to use it in a way that works well for them. That’s why, in most cases, we recommend that anyone looking to experience the full effects of CBD start with a delicious and simple-to-dose option: cannabis gummies. Whether you’re a first-timer looking to understand dosing with CBD gummies or a seasoned CBD enthusiast trying to identify your ideal dose, this brief guide explaining the basics and how to dose properly can help.
CBD Gummies: The Basics
CBD is the shortened name of a substance known as cannabidiol, which is a naturally occurring cannabinoid compound found in cannabis plants. Unlike THC, CBD does not interact with the CB1 receptors in the brain to trigger the effects that cause you to feel high. Instead, CBD can produce a subtle calming effect that helps to relax your muscles, joints, or mind, along with other beneficial effects.
You can find CBD in a variety of products on the market today, ranging from creams and other topicals to orally dosed tinctures, capsules, vapes, and even CBD flower. Still, gummies are almost always among the most popular CBD products sold at dispensaries. This is largely because they’re convenient, discreet, easy to use, and simple to dose. They are also capable of offering comprehensive benefits.
Another reason many people choose CBD gummies is that they come in a multitude of forms and flavors. Since they’re created in the same way that your average piece of candy is, just infused with CBD, cannabis edible producers have a full slate of flavor options at their fingertips.
It’s also important to note that gummies can come in multiple concentrations and doses. Dosages commonly range from 5 to 25 mg of CBD, which can be achieved by eating multiple small-dose gummies or a single larger-dose gummy, depending on the product. By offering varying dosages in different flavors, users are able to customize their relaxation experience by choosing products that best suit them.
The Many Benefits of CBD Gummies
If you want to choose a CBD gummy product that’s right for you, it’s important to begin by learning about the different benefits that they can provide. This way, you can pinpoint the effects you want and select a product that delivers them. CBD is well-known for helping people with multiple ailments and provides benefits like:
Relaxation of the Body and Mind
The average person deals with a significant amount of stress every day. Whether you’re run down from your job, or you’re dealing with chronic pain, it’s essential that you put aside time every day where you can relax. Unfortunately, because of how chaotic life can be, many people need help to relax their body and mind. CBD gummies are an amazing way to help your body slow down and calm down after a long day. Because CBD can influence the way cannabinoid receptors receive all the cannabinoids in cannabis, it produces subtle calming effects that can ensure you get the relaxation you desperately need.
Because of their relaxation effects, CBD gummies can also promote higher-quality sleep. Whether you realize it or not, your brain may struggle to slow down at the end of a long day. In fact, many people have difficulties falling into a deep sleep because of racing thoughts and stress. By adding a CBD gummy to your nightly routine, you may finally experience a restful night of sleep by giving your body a headstart to relax.
Pain Relief and Management
Chronic pain, disabilities, and healing injuries can all be challenging to deal with, especially if you’re trying to avoid heavy medications. Luckily, CBD has shown immense potential as a tool for prescription-free pain management. By interacting with the cannabinoid receptors that modulate the pain response, CBD appears to help slow pain signals and calm nervous system activity. You can take a CBD gummy at any time of the day or even daily to help combat chronic pain and problematic issues.
Stress, Anxiety, and Depression Relief
Dealing with stress, anxiety, or depression can be a burden, especially when you feel like there’s no way to escape it. Cannabis products, including CBD gummies, have long been used to alleviate anxious feelings and help you feel more comfortable in the moment. With their ability to decrease stress and symptoms of anxiety and depression, CBD gummies are one of the most popular anxiety relief alternatives.
What To Consider When Trying CBD Gummies
There’s more than you might think that goes into finding the perfect CBD gummy, especially if you’ve never tried one before.
While there are a variety of elements to consider when choosing a gummy, the four most important are:
- Dosage – It’s essential that you review the CBD dosage of the gummy or gummies within your package. In the beginning, you’ll want to lean towards gummies with lower dosages. Generally, a low dose is considered any product that contains 1 mg to 5 mg of CBD per gummy.
- Serving Size – A package’s serving size will not only tell you the dose of CBD per gummy and the recommended amount of a product to take, but it will also tell you how much of that product is in the package. If you’re taking CBD gummies for the first time, be careful to focus on beginning with a low dose and determining how many gummies (or what portion of a gummy) constitutes your ideal dose.
- Desired Effects – While some people take CBD gummies to experience all the various therapeutic effects they can supply, other people use them to target specific problems. For example, if you’re someone who struggles with insomnia, you should look for a CBD gummy with a dose, added ingredients, or even other cannabinoids that can help promote better sleep. The ingredients of every gummy are tailored to produce unique effects, so it’s essential that you know what you want before you buy a package.
- Flavor – CBD gummies come in almost every flavor imaginable. While most of them have a very slight cannabis scent or taste, they still taste great and are easy to eat. We always recommend that you choose your favorite flavor of a gummy to enhance your experience and help you enjoy the product as best as possible.
Understanding Serving Sizes
Just like other types of food, CBD gummies come with recommended serving sizes on the back of their packages. This can help you answer common questions, such as how many CBD gummies you should take per day. A serving size is the amount of a product that is recommended for the average individual. Note that it is only the recommended amount, meaning that some people may require less, and some people may require more to feel the effects they desire.
Every serving size is different depending on the potency of a product and how much of it is included in a package. This is because some products may include multiple edibles while others may consist of a single larger product. For example, the serving size of a particular product might be 5 mg, but when you read the label, it reveals that entire product contains 25 mg.
That means you should only take a small bite to adhere to the serving size and get the effects you want. Conversely, if you buy a package of 5mg gummies but the serving size is 10mg per day, you would then need to take two gummies per day for the right effects. Fortunately, CBD can’t make you feel high even if you end up consuming more than you intended. You might just feel like you need some sleep.
CBD Gummies Dosage Guide
Once you know the recommended serving size and how much CBD is in each gummy, it’s time to determine the right dose for you. The perfect dose of CBD is different for everyone who uses it, and you’ll need to consider factors that are unique to you. Generally, smaller individuals typically require less CBD, while larger individuals may require more to feel the same effects.
Keep these factors in mind when you’re trying to decide what dosage makes sense for you:
- Your height
- Your weight
- Tolerance to CBD
- Tolerance to THC
- Your desired effects
- The potency of the effects you’re looking for
After considering these factors, you can then take a look at the different dosages and find one that feels like the right fit.
Here’s what the average person may experience after taking a common dose of CBD:
- 1 mg – This offers the most subtle relaxation effects, similar to your muscles relieving a bit of tension.
- 5 mg – This is the most common starting dose for CBD users and delivers subtle but comforting calming effects. 5 mg works well for people who deal with daily stress or anxiety. Still, 5 mg doses can easily be split into two 2.5 mg doses.
- 10 mg – For those looking for daily relief a bit stronger than 5 mg, a 10 mg gummy is generally the next jump. If you’re taking 10 mg at once and wondering if 10 mg CBD gummy is too much, you can split your dose. Many people take 10 mg per day but separate them into morning and night to feel the effects all day.
- 20 mg – If you’re someone who really needs help relaxing, a 20 mg gummy may serve you best. It will be much stronger than your average 5 mg cannabis treat, except the effects serve to make your body feel incredibly relaxed and relieved. You may even find yourself getting hungry.
- 25 mg – For those asking, “is 25mg of CBD gummy strong,” it’s important to know that anything over 25 mg per day is generally consumed by long-term CBD or THC users. This is because they often build a tolerance and require more of the substance to get the effects they need. However, 25 mg of CBD is still not a very large amount. In fact, many topicals contain well over 100 mg.
- 50 mg – For those who deal with intense pain or chronic insomnia, you may need a powerful dosage for powerful effects. A 50 mg CBD gummy may be able to put you to sleep and help you stay asleep peacefully.
Finding Your New Favorite CBD Gummy
As you can see, there are a few details that go into choosing a CBD gummy that works well for you. While it can feel complicated, finding the perfect gummy is far from impossible – in fact, we think you’ll truly enjoy the trial and error necessary to land on the perfect dose for you.
- Blessing, E. M., Steenkamp, M. M., Manzanares, J., & Marmar, C. R. (2015). Cannabidiol as a Potential Treatment for Anxiety Disorders. Neurotherapeutics, 12(4), 825–836. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4604171/
- Shannon, S. (2019). Cannabidiol in Anxiety and Sleep: A Large Case Series. The Permanente Journal, 23(1). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6326553/
- Mlost, J., Bryk, M., & Starowicz, K. (2020). Cannabidiol for Pain Treatment: Focus on Pharmacology and Mechanism of Action. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 21(22), 8870. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7700528/
- Rapin, L., Gamaoun, R., El Hage, C., Arboleda, M. F., & Prosk, E. (2021). Cannabidiol use and effectiveness: real-world evidence from a Canadian medical cannabis clinic. Journal of Cannabis Research, 3(1). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8223341/